Thursday, May 5, 2011

Reconceptualizing Down Syndrome

                As I had said before in my review on tracking, every student has a different mind and a different learning process.  The same can be said about children with down syndrome.  Even though they are directly affected by the disease, Kliewer argues that incorporation of some of the students into a normal classroom would be a good idea.  He argues that it would allow the child with the syndrome to feel more normal than ever, as well as giving them an equal learning chance as the so called normal students of the institution.  It can also be a beneficial experience for the rest of the students in the class, who will be able to experience the disease head on, allowing them to incorporate the student as well as help them along their way.  The only direct downside I can see with this is taunting and teasing.  It's hard to believe that this would ever happen, but in my experience taunting of mentally retarded or disabled students is a reality, and a pathetic one at that.  The only fights I was ever involved with in school were because of me stepping in and stopping someone from taunting either a mentally retarded student or a disabled student.  It is one of the only things I cannot tolerate, and I feel affirmative action is the only way to resolve it.  Any person rotten enough to commit such an atrocity deserves to be dealt with through the use of force, I don't care what anyone says, I will not let that go unpunished.  Getting back to the main topic of the article, I was fortunate enough to have a close experience to this hear on the RIC campus this semester.  In my regional Geography course, one of the students (Mark) is a disabled student who is in a motorized wheel chair and is accompanied by a student aid who helps him to be organized for assignments, as well as takes careful notes for the student who is unable to do so for himself.  It is honestly amazing to see this in front of me, and how accomadable the school has been to help Mark out in such a vast way.  His prescience in the class is definitely felt in a great way, and everyone is very generous and accomadable to him whenever needed, which is great to see.  it is for these many reasons that I fully agree with such an incorporation as was mentioned.   I feel as if this incorporation would be beyond beneficial for both the student his or herself, as well as the class as a whole.  Everyone deserves the same chance as one another, no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment